Northern Road Upgrade Stage 3
Veris has been called upon to perform survey works for part of the Northern Road Upgrade Project, being undertaken by the Australian Federal and New South Wales State Governments as part of the 10 year, $3.6 billion Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan (WSIP).
The Northern Road Upgrade project consists of approximately 35 kilometres of road between The Old Northern Road, Narellan and Jamison Road, South Penrith from a generally two to four lane undivided road to a six to eight lane divided road.* - creating a main transport corridor for the South West and Western Sydney Priority Growth Areas.
Key features of The Northern Road Upgrade include:
- Widening The Northern Road to four lanes in each direction (including a bus lane)
- Building a new bridge over the M4 Motorway
- Installing new traffic lights and turning lanes
- Continuous bus lanes in each direction
- A central median installed
- New shared pedestrian and cyclist path and footpaths
- New street lighting, drainage, safety barriers and landscaping
- New retaining walls
- Two new noise barriers*
The project aims to deliver new and improved roads to support combined transportation in the Western Sydney region; improving safety, increasing capacity and reducing congestion and travel times.
Stage 3 of the Upgrade project consists of 4 kilometres of Glenmore Parkway to Jamison Road. Veris will be responsible for surveying works, but this complex project also includes utility investigations, excavation, earthworks, office installations and fencing.
The upgrade of 6 sections of The Northern Road is valued at $1.6 billion and is expected to begin major construction by the middle of this year and be completed in 2020.
[*Source - Roads and Maritime Services, NSW]